Which steps are part of the seafloor spreading process?
Terms in this set (7)
- Magma comes out of the rift valley.
- Magma cools to rock and hardens.
- Rock is pushed away as new rock is formed at MOR.
- Oceanic crust and continental crust meet at the trench.
- Oceanic crust bends down under the continental crust.
- Gravity pulls rock towards mantle.
- Rock melts to mantle.
What are the 4 types of plate boundaries?
Tectonic Plates and Plate Boundaries
- Convergent boundaries: where two plates are colliding. Subduction zones occur when one or both of the tectonic plates are composed of oceanic crust.
- Divergent boundaries – where two plates are moving apart.
- Transform boundaries – where plates slide passed each other.
Where does seafloor spreading occur answers?
Sea-floor spreading is what happens at the mid-oceanic ridge where a divergent boundary is causing two plates to move away from one another resulting in spreading of the sea floor. As the plates move apart, new material wells up and cools onto the edge of the plates.
Who proposed seafloor spreading?
Which way are the plates moving?
The Pacific Plate is moving to the northwest at a speed of between 7 and 11 centimeters (cm) or ~3-4 inches a year. The North American plate is moving to the west-southwest at about 2.3 cm (~1 inch) per year driven by the spreading center that created the Atlantic Ocean, the Mid Atlantic Ridge.
What happens when you move the two plates toward each other?
When two plate move towards each other they converge or come together. The collision between two plates that are moving towards each other is called a convergent boundary. The collision results in large damaging earthquakes. When two continental plates converge the result is the formation of large folded mountains.
When two plates pull apart it create a?
The plates diverge and this causes the construction of new rock. It happens when two tectonic plates pull apart and rock from the mantle rises up through the opening to form new surface rock when it cools. It happens at the start of a new ocean and continues at the mid-ocean ridge while the ocean is opening.