What should you not do with a pulmonary embolism?
During this time, they may need to keep taking medication to prevent additional blood clots. Sometimes, people need to take medication indefinitely. A doctor may advise that people avoid long journeys, foods rich in vitamin K, and strenuous exercise while they recover from a pulmonary embolism.
What foods should be avoided with pulmonary embolism?
Your Guide To a Heart-Healthy Pulmonary Embolism Diet
- Limit unhealthy fats and sodium.
- Avoid sugary and processed foods.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Choose whole grains.
- Choose low-fat protein sources.
Can drinking water help prevent blood clots?
Staying hydrated and drinking plenty of water helps to keep the viscosity of the blood low. If the blood is very viscous then this is a strong predictor of cardiovascular events such as heart attacks and blood clots.
Who is at high risk for pulmonary embolism?
People at risk for PE are those who: Have been inactive or immobile for long periods of time. Have certain inherited conditions, such as blood clotting disorders or factor V Leiden. Are having surgery or have broken a bone (the risk is higher weeks following a surgery or injury).
How do you prevent blood clots in the lungs?
How do I prevent pulmonary embolism?
- Exercise regularly.
- Drink plenty of fluids, like water and juice, but avoid excess alcohol and caffeine.
- If you need to be stationary for long periods of time, move around for a few minutes each hour: move your feet and legs, bend your knees, and stand on tip-toe.
- Do not smoke.
Can a blood clot on the lung be treated?
The main treatment for pulmonary embolism is called an anticoagulant. This is a drug that causes chemical changes in your blood to stop it clotting easily. This drug will stop the clot getting larger while your body slowly absorbs it. It also reduces the risk of further clots developing.