What are the monomers of carbohydrates called quizlet?
Monosaccharides are made of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen (CHO). They are the monomers for carbohydrates . Monosaccharides are classified by the number of carbon atoms and the position of their carbonyl group.
What are the 3 most common monosaccharides?
There are 3 monosaccharides:
What makes up 20 of digestible starch?
Glucose. Sucrose is made up of glucose and fructose. Amylose. Long, straight-chain type of starch that makes up about 20% of digestible starch.
What is the common name of carbohydrates?
In scientific literature, the term “carbohydrate” has many synonyms, like “sugar” (in the broad sense), “saccharide”, “ose”, “glucide”, “hydrate of carbon” or “polyhydroxy compounds with aldehyde or ketone”. Some of these terms, specially “carbohydrate” and “sugar”, are also used with other meanings.
Which of the following is a sugar alcohol?
Identifying Them. Common sugar alcohols are mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, lactitol, isomalt, maltitol and hydrogenated starch hydrolysates (HSH). Sugar alcohols are not commonly used in home food preparation, but are found in many processed foods.
What is the technical term for high blood sugar?
Hyperglycemia is the technical term for high blood glucose (blood sugar). High blood sugar happens when the body has too little insulin or when the body can’t use insulin properly.
What is the best snack for low blood sugar?
Good choices include:
- a piece of fruit or handful of berries and whole-grain crackers.
- Greek yogurt mixed with berries.
- an apple with a spoonful of peanut butter and a slice of cheese.
- a small handful of mixed dried fruit and nuts.
- a no-sugar peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole-grain bread.
Will a banana raise my blood sugar?
A single medium-sized banana contains about 15 grams of sugar ( 3 ). Bananas do contain simple carbs, which can cause blood sugar levels to rise more than other nutrients.
What should I eat when my sugar is low?
Eat or drink a quickly digested carbohydrate food, such as:
- ½ cup fruit juice.
- ½ cup of a regular soft drink (not a diet soda)
- 1 cup of milk.
- 5 or 6 hard candies.
- 4 or 5 saltine crackers.
- 2 tablespoons of raisins.
- 3 to 4 teaspoons of sugar or honey.
- 3 or 4 glucose tablets or a serving of glucose gel.
Does chocolate help low blood sugar?
Candy bars, ice cream and chocolate are not good choices of foods to treat low blood glucose reactions. They contain fat that will slow the release of glucose into your blood and will not raise your blood glucose fast enough. What happens if I pass out or become unconscious?
What fruit has the most vitamin C?
Fruits with the highest sources of vitamin C include:
- Citrus fruits and juices, such as orange and grapefruit.
- Kiwi fruit.
- Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and cranberries.
What is the best vitamin C?
- Best Overall: Nature’s Bounty Vitamin C at Amazon.
- Best Organic: Garden of Life Vitamin C at Amazon.
- Best Capsule: Solgar Vitamin C at Amazon.
- Best Gummy: NOW C-500 at Amazon.
- Best Boosted: Pure Encapsulations Essential-C & Flavonoids at Amazon.
- Best Tasting: Megafood C Defense at Amazon.
What foods provide vitamin C?
Good sources of vitamin C
- citrus fruit, such as oranges and orange juice.
- brussels sprouts.
Is Lemon high in vitamin C?
Lemons contain 77 mg of vitamin C per 100 grams, with one medium lemon delivering 92% of the DV. Vitamin C has potent antioxidant benefits and can keep your cut fruits and vegetables from turning brown.